Denise Goldberg's blog

Washington & Oregon
Wandering on two wheels, 1999

Sunday, July 11, 1999

Bellingham to Keystone

I definitely overdid it today. I should have stopped at Oak Harbor, but I started around the outside of Whideby Island following the Adventure Cycling maps. I thought it was too early to stop when I was close to Oak Harbor - maybe next time I'll be more sensible. I actually went into Fort Ebey State Park, but I decided to press on to the ferry terminal. I pulled into the campground at Fort Casey State park at about 6:30. As I was heading down from Coupeville I could see the fog rolling in. It's pretty chilly here, too. I just talked to someone who came off the ferry - he said it was hot and sunny in Port Townsend. Oh well - I really needed to stop, and didn't want to deal with finding a place to stay after the ferry ride. Here's hoping some of this fog burns off relatively early!

It was a beautiful riding day today, but a lot harder than I expected. I rode into a headwind all morning, plus it was very hilly all day. Most were short and steep, but there were some not so short hills too. I don't think I ate enough yesterday, so I tried to make up some of the calorie deficit today. I was operating on a bit of a sleep deficit too. One of my roommates snored all night! And not a little snore, more like a freight train! It might be a good idea to carry ear plugs for the nights I end up in a hostel - or for noisy campsites!

The scenery was unbelievable. Cascades to the east, water, Whideby Island, more water, Olympics to the southwest. It was amazing to be on an island in the middle of 2 snow-capped mountain ranges.