Denise Goldberg's blog

Washington & Oregon
Wandering on two wheels, 1999

Sunday, July 18, 1999

Kelso, WA to Warrenton, OR

Back to the hills...

The first 10 to 15 miles today were relatively flat. Then the hills started again. They were more serious on the Oregon side of the river. I took the very funny ferry across from Puget Island to Westport. I didn't want to ride across the Astoria bridge - according to the woman at the Astoria Visitor Center, it's a hard bridge to drive across, let along bike (4+ miles, no shoulders, very steep section). OK, OK, maybe I'm a bit of a baby - but the ferry was an experience! It's a tiny boat that is supposed to run on a schedule. In reality, it seems to run as soon as it gets back from the other side of the river...



I really wish I had an altimeter with me. I'd love to know the total elevation gain for each day's ride.

Hotel again tonight. I needed to stop. The headwinds got to me, and I felt like I didn't have enough gas to continue on to Fort Stevens. Hopefully I'll be able to camp for the rest of the trip.