Denise Goldberg's blog

Washington & Oregon
Wandering on two wheels, 1999

Monday, July 12, 1999

Ferry & bike... Port Townsend to Sequim loop

I caught the 9:15 ferry. I met a woman who was going to a writer's conference. She offered me a place to stay if I wanted to return to Whideby Island tonight...



I explored Port Townsend, then headed toward Port Angeles. I was planning to do an out-and-back ride, but hadn't decided how far "out" was. Then I met Ian on the road. He's a cyclist from BC who was heading to Port Townsend. We stood on the side of the road and talked for quite a while - until I decided that I was at a good turn-around point, so we headed back to Port Townsend together. The campground at Fort Worden was full, so we ended up at the hostel. We claimed our beds, unloaded the bikes, and then headed back into town for dinner. We had dinner in a nice waterfront restaurant, definitely a good change of pace for me!



Back at the hostel. I surprised one of the men in our room at the hostel. We ended up in a co-ed dorm room, but one of our roommates (and 82-year old man) thought it was the men's dorm. He adjusted though - he had to, since there were 2 women and 4 men in there!