Denise Goldberg's blog

Washington & Oregon
Wandering on two wheels, 1999

Tuesday, July 6, 1999

Wandering around the Coulee Dam area

I woke up at 5:20 this morning when the sprinklers caught me from 2 sides. No leak in the tent - but I did choose another site for tonight. I'd like the tent to be dry when I pack up tomorrow morning. I looked at the six spots around where I set up camp yesterday. It looks like the two on the end were the only 2 of the six that seem to have OK spots for tents. Maybe I should have camped on the lower loop, but I like the view of the lake from the upper loop.



When I moved this morning (to a dry campsite) there were a couple of young families in the area. Unfortunately, when I came back this evening I discovered what I think is 3 (or possibly 4) couples of white-haired folks across from me. You would think that young kids would make more noise than adults, but these folks have been sitting on their lawn chairs talking for the last 2 hours, and their conversation carries. They may not be using loud voices, but it sure sounds like it to me. Too bad I'm not really interested in eavesdropping! I hope this isn't a late-night crowd - I'd like to be able to enjoy the birds and the natural sounds. I'm going to walk down to the beach in a minute, so at least I'll get away for a bit.

I went over to the dam to do a tour this morning. I discovered after waiting for 20 minutes that they weren't running tours of the 3rd powerplant this morning, so I headed over to the pump generating station for that tour. Fascinating. (For some statistics on the dam, see http://www.usbr.gov/power/data/sites/grandcou/grandcou.htm)

I spend the afternoon riding down the side of Banks Lake. Very annoying road surface - tarred, graveled, and rolled. I didn't realize how bad it really was until I was back on smooth road. What a beautiful area! This area of the state looks like it is corrugated.





I stopped at a windmill garden on the outskirts of town. Unfortunately I had to view it from outside the fence, which was locked. I wonder why.