Denise Goldberg's blog

Washington & Oregon
Wandering on two wheels, 1999

Thursday, July 15, 1999

Shelton to Centralia to Kelso

I spent the past 2 days following numbered roads rather then the Adventure Cycling route. I started from Centralia following the route, but then I backtracked to I-5. The weather was threatening, and I decided I didn't have the right mind set for following narrow winding roads without any services. I-5 actually wasn't bad (and yes, it is legal to bike on the interstate in this section of Washington) - and it was a much easier grade than the scenic route. It was the right decision for me today, but wouldn't be the right decision for someone who was freaked out by fast-moving cars and trucks. And I certainly wouldn't make a habit of it myself!

I tried to camp last night (July 15th). The RV campground in town wouldn't allow any tents. I was going to try the Rotary City Park in Centralia, but they lock the rest rooms from 10pm to 8am, not a good thing not to have access to a bathroom overnight. So it was a hotel yet again.

I talked with a couple of people about different routes into Oregon. I'm going to stick with the ferry at Cathlamet. There is a bridge at Longview that is very steep and high. And there is a bridge at Astoria that is 4.6 miles long, and also steep and high. The bridges are high enough to let ships through... After riding the Whideby Island and Hood Canal bridges, I think I've had enough of major bridges with no space for bicycles - especially since there is a decent alternative.





Camping just hasn't been in the cards the last 2 nights. I rode up to the Mt. St. Helens visitor center. Interesting exhibit, but I wasn't able to actually see the mountain because of the weather conditions. I hoped to camp at the state park near there, but the campground was full. It was raining and chilly when I came out of the visitor center, and I guess I was too lazy to go wandering through the campground to see if there was someone willing to let me share their site. I headed back to Castle Rock, got there at 5, then decided to continue on to Kelso-Longview, another eleven miles, again on I-5. Just as I pulled off of I-5 it absolutely began to pour. I pulled into a Best Western hotel, just dripping. I can't believe how hard it was raining. My shoes were sloshing, and I don't think I'd been in the heavy rain more than five or ten minutes! The desk clerk must have felt bad for me, since she gave me a room with a kitchen at a regular room rate. It was nice not to have to go back out in the rain again tonight. And luckily there was a guest laundry so I could get everything dry! The first thing I did (after getting myself dried off) was a major clean and lube of the bike. It's all ready to go again. I'm so happy that I made the decision last year to get the Ortlieb panniers. Although I was pretty wet, everything in the panniers was still dry!