Denise Goldberg's blog

Washington & Oregon
Wandering on two wheels, 1999

Monday, July 26, 1999

Brookings, OR to Crescent City, CA

My last riding day was a relatively short one, Brookings to Crescent City, and a little further south toward the redwoods. Another pretty ride. I ran into major construction on the road south of Crescent City and decided that I didn't want to spend time on the road with lines of cars for what seemed like miles, so I headed back to Crescent City, which was the planned end point of my trip. I did notice an interesting change in the road as I crossed from Oregon to California. Oregon appears to be much more biker-friendly than California. The size and condition of the shoulder changed drastically between the states. I know that Oregon has done alot of work on the coast route, and it is really noticeable.





I arrived a day earlier than planned, which isn't really too bad considering that I didn't know how far I'd be traveling each day. I was able to change my last night hotel reservation and my flight home to a day earlier, so I'll be headed back to New England tomorrow. It's going to be hard to adjust not only to not being on the bike every day, but also to dealing with buying and selling my home and starting a new job.

I checked into the hotel and picked up my bike case from the manager (I had asked when I made the reservation if they would be willing to accept and hold a package for me, and they said yes.) I cleaned the bike, and as usual couldn't get the pedals off. One of these days I'm going to figure that out! So - I found a bike shop in town and wandered over to get some help from the mechanic. I also found a gas station that would accept fuel, since I can't take the remaining fuel on the plane tomorrow. Had a nice dinner, then went for a walk along the beach and out to the lighthouse. There were signs in town showing how far the water came in the 1964 tsunami. This town must have been pretty much wiped out then.



It's time for me to go back to the world where I have to work to support myself - but it's also time to start dreaming of the next bike trip. I wonder where that will be?