Denise Goldberg's blog

Washington & Oregon
Wandering on two wheels, 1999

Wednesday, July 14, 1999

Bremerton to Shelton

It was a short day today. I needed a break after the hills yesterday, but I only got one in terms of mileage, not ease of riding. There were some pretty steep hills getting out of Bremerton, then the terrain moderated. Less hills - but the winds kicked in. I had very strong winds from about Belfair to Shelton, about 23 miles. They were mostly headwinds, but there were some severe sidewinds too. It was especially bad as I came to the top of hills, and there were several times when I came pretty close to getting blown totally off of the road.

There was no place to camp here. The next camping spot appears to be another 20 miles down the road, which was too far for me today. By the looks of things it may need to be a 65 mile day tomorrow to get to a campsite. Here's hoping the wind dies down!

I followed route 3 today - not on the Adventure Cycling map - in search of less hills. It seems that the more scenic route is a lot more hilly.

It's a funky hotel and laundry day. It's too bad there wasn't a private campground around since most of them have washers and dryers. The first hotel I saw looked pretty awful, so I stopped at a convenience store and asked. I was referred to the Shelton Inn (the woman at the convenience store is a friend of the owner) which is also a bit funky - a strip motel in town, but very clean. And it is within walking distance of the laundromat, Safeway, and restaurants, so it will do.