Denise Goldberg's blog

Washington & Oregon
Wandering on two wheels, 1999

Wednesday, July 21, 1999

Pacific City to Newport to Florence

I met a couple at the Cape Foulweather viewpoint yesterday, then met up with them again today. He lives in North Bend, and offered me a place to stay there tomorrow. I probably won't take them up on it since they had no idea when they'd get there, but it was nice to get the offer.





It was a beautiful ride today (7/22), but I was still in the fog most of the time. It cleared in a couple of places, but socked right in again. Right now it's drizzling on and off, and it is supposed to do the same tomorrow morning. I don't know how far I'll go tomorrow. The next hiker-biker campsite is at least 60 miles from here. I'll have to see what I feel like tomorrow. I can always opt for a hotel in North Bend or Coos Bay.





The campground at Honeyman State Park is under construction. The hiker-biker site is nicely tucked in the woods, but is a bit of a hike up a steep hill to get to. It's uphill on a narrow trail, so I wound up pushing the loaded bike. Luckily it wasn't too far. As usual, I had some nice companions for the evening, and a nice walk to the beach.

One of my campsite-mates was riding a Bike Friday and pulling his bike case as a trailer. I love my touring bike, but I was intrigued by the Bike Friday. I've seen their ads in biking magazines, but I'd never seen one in person before. There was also a couple who were from the northeast but who had been living in Oregon for a few years because of school. They both said that they were planning to move back to Maine as soon as they graduated. The reason - they wanted blue sky. They said they didn't realize how much the cloudy and foggy days were getting to them until they had a surprise crystal clear day.